Belly Laugh Day is just around the corner, Jan. 24. Sure, this may seem like a silly made up national holiday, but there is so much unexpected value to be had!
It is said that laughter is the best medicine, and we couldn't agree more. And neither could science. Study upon study shows that laughing has dramatic and lasting health benefits. Think how great a smile makes you feel, then multiply that effect by ten--that is what a good belly laugh does for you.
- Laughing relieves tension and pressure in the body
- Laughing boosts your immune system. Seriously, laughing reduces stress hormones and increases infection-fighting antibodies.
- Laughing triggers endorphins--aka: that happy chemical that gives you that feel good feeling AND has been proven to temporarily relieve pain
- Laughing burns calories: No, it isn't like a visit to spin class, but hearty laughter over a duration of time is proven to burn calories and strengthen abs muscles.
- Laughing has actually been linked to a longer live expectancy.
So, yes, laughter is important. It is a much more uplifting way to improve your health than dieting or pills. So come January 24th find a reason to laugh. Rent that new comedy or schedule lunch with your friend who always cracks the best jokes. Even better, make it your goal to laugh every single day.